Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Healthy Living

Over the past few months, I have been on a bit of a health kick.  Most of this started after I got my gallbladder removed, which has forced me to change my diet.  Not only have I changed my diet, but I have also kept consistent with working out 6-7 times a week.  It is the best stress relief for me and a great way for me to clear my mind.  Most of the times I like to wake up in the morning and get it over with because after work I am exhausted and feel pressed for time.  Anyway, I started Insanity again on Sunday (woof, is that a workout!).  I am already so sore, but I am really determine to stick to it for the next 60 days! 

Rusty and I tend to eat very healthy.  Of course we do have our days when we cheat, but we have been really good about cooking and grilling healthy options.  It is so hard for me because I have to go out to eat for lunch with my clients.  It sounds like it would be awesome, a free lunch, right? But no, I am so sick of it! Thankfully, at most of my lunches we tend to avoid the chain restaurants.  I sound spoiled, but I do not enjoy eating at chains at all.  I am really liking how most restaurants now have menus that feature their "lighter/lean options" with the nutritional information.  It is making lunches a little bit more bearable.  If they don't have that on there, I like to look at the MyFitness Pal app, which has so many restaurants on there, just so I can see exactly what is in my food.  You would be surprised how bad some of the salads and other normally healthy items are! 

I am excited to track my progress with Insanity.  I hoping that I can build up my endurance and tone up! Crossing my fingers that I actually stick to it!  

This past Sunday, I decided to make a few breakfast choices for Rusty and I.  I made 2 different types of muffins that were quick and easy to take on the go, since all mornings seem so rushed lately.  

Egg White Omelets (1 WW point each)
Calories: 56, Fat: 2g Carbs: 3g, Fiber: 1g, Protein: 7g
Makes 12 servings

Ingredients:
  • 14 egg whites
  • 4 whole eggs
  • 1/2 red pepper, minced
  • 1/2 cup of baby spinach
  • 1/4-1/2 cup of diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 tsp. basil
  • 1/2 tsp. oregano
  • 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste (I added a little bit of cheese on a few of them!)
Directions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  
  2. Coat a muffin tin with spray and set aside.
  3. Combine all of the veggies in a large bowl.
  4. Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 full with the veggie mixture.
  5. Whisk the eggs and seasonings together in a large mixing bowl.
  6. After the eggs are whisked together, fill each muffin tin to the top.
  7. Bake muffins for 25 minutes, until they have risen and are slightly brown.

Strawberry Chocolate Chip Pancake Muffins
Serving: 12 muffins

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups pancake mix
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 cup of water
  • 3-4 tbsp. of syrup
  • 3/4 cup of chocolate chips
  • 1 cup of diced strawberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.  Line the muffin tins with liners or you can spray.  Fill muffin tins 3/4 full and put in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until browned. 


These are both super easy recipes.  You can store the egg muffins in the freezer and just reheat them when you are ready.  The pancake muffins taste delicious warmed in the microwave for a few seconds before eating as well!

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment