Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sweet Treats

Happy HUMP DAY! Enjoy some sweet treats and a nice glass of wine, you deserve it!

After a very fun weekend with my best friend, I stopped in at my parents' house in Charlotte on my way home.  It is always so nice to spend some time with my parents.  Now that I don't live in Charlotte I really cherish those moments that I get to spend at home.

Whenever I go home, it is always stocked with baking supplies.  I decided to whip up a few treats to bring back to Greenville.  One of the recipes is a favorite of mine...super delicious and so easy.  The other was a new recipe I decided to try and man was it worth it!  I didn't feel so guilty making these because I used Splenda instead of sugar...just trying to convince myself that a few dessert aren't so bad.



Miss Susie's Almond Shortbread

Line 8x8 pan with foil, including sides then spray with Pam

1 1/2 sticks butter, melted, over stove not in the microwave
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour (not self-rising)
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp almond extract

Mix and press into pan, sprinkle some sugar or sprinkles over top lightly

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until golden on top
(the longer you bake, the denser it becomes), be careful not to burn the bottom
Take from the oven, cool 15 minutes then take out of the pan, cool again.
Remove the foil, cut off outer edges and cut into cubes.

This recipe is beyond easy and you will have a delicious treat!



Chewy Oatmeal Cinnamon Butterscotch Cookies


Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/4 cup quick oats
  • 1 cup cinnamon chips
  • 1/2 cup butterscotch chips


Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line several cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
  3. Using an electric mixer and a separate bowl, cream the butter and both sugars together until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes.  *Don't cut the time short here.
  4. Add the vanilla extract and eggs to the butter mixture and beat to combine.  Then slowly add the flour mixture until just combined.
  5. Scrape the bowl and beat on low, adding the oats and baking chips.
  6. Using a tablespoon, drop the cookie dough in 1 1/2 tablespoon portions onto the cookie sheets.  Make sure they are spaced 2-3 inches apart for spreading.
  7. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are golden, but the centers still seem soft. Cool completely on the baking sheets before moving.


These would make a perfect hump day snack! I hope that you enjoy them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment