Thursday, February 14, 2013

BEST NEWS EVER!!!

Yesterday I received the best news ever from my parents and I couldn't be any happier!

One year ago, my dad found out that he had spots on his lungs that needed to be checked out because they were showing abnormalities that were associated with lung cancer.  He called me a couple months later after going to the doctor and told me that they were 90% sure that what they were seeing on the scans was in fact cancer.  The news hit me like a ton of bricks.  My dad had NEVER smoked a day in his life and now he possibly had lung cancer?  I didn't know how to react to the news and I certainly couldn't focus on work anymore that day.  The feeling you have when you find out the strongest man in your life has cancer is miserable.

Cancer has affected so many people in my family and so many of my friends' families.  I just never imagined that my dad would soon be facing the challenges of what cancer brings.  He was then told that he would have to get surgery and they were going to remove 20-30% of his lung in order to get the tumor out.  When they went in, they realized that it had spread throughout the lining of his lungs, but was contained in there (thank God, for that news!).  We were told that 3 months after this surgery he would start his 12 weeks of chemo.

Those 12 weeks of chemo were the hardest and longest weeks for my dad.  It was so hard to watch him lay on the couch, feeling abosultely miserable.  My dad is not one to ever show that he is sick and always wants to be strong, but you could see how much the chemo was really taking a toll on his body.  But no matter how sick he was feeling, my dad was always in good spirits and from the beginning he knew that this was just a little bump in the road and that he would get past this.  Well after almost a year of battling lung cancer, I am beyond happy to announce that everyone's prays worked and my dad's scans came back yesterday CANCER FREE!! I have never been more excited to hear those words.  It was the perfect Valentine's day gift to my mom and my sisters and I. 

He is the strongest man I know and I couldn't be more proud to call him my DAD!



I continue to keep all of my family in my thoughts and prayers that are still battling cancer, but now have new found hope that they can beat it as well


No comments:

Post a Comment