Monday, February 18, 2013

Weekend Adventures

Who doesn't love a three day weekend!? I was lucky enough to have President's Day off and let me tell you it was much needed after a fun-filled, busy weekend. I was so relieved when 3 o'clock rolled around on Friday. That is my favorite time of the week, because it means that my weekend has officially begun!

Friday was the start of our busy weekend.  I officially booked my storage unit and have most of my apartment all packed up, which is a good thing because I will be moving in with Rusty in two weeks until our house is done being built! So much to look forward to with this BIG step in our lives. That night, Rusty had a basketball game for the church team he was on.  I finally went and watched one of them for the first time and surprisingly enjoyed it, seeing as I am not a huge basketball fan. Unfortunately, Rusty's team lost--but it was still entertaining to say the least. Afterwards we enjoyed a some Mexican at Monteray's to begin our weekend full of dates :)

I was so excited on Saturday morning when I woke up.  Earlier in the week, Rusty had mentioned that he wanted to go to Asheville for the day on Saturday.  He didn't have to ask me twice! I have been wanting to go up there with Rusty and explore the city.  I wanted to go to the Biltmore Estate, but it is very expensive and we needed more than just a few hours to explore the vast grounds, the house, and the vineyards of course. Because we were leaving the dogs at home, we could only spend half of the day in Asheville.  We decided that we were going to go shopping at the discount Dillards (but that turned out to be a disappointment, way too cluttered for me to dig through!) and then go bar hopping and to some of the breweries that are in Asheville.

On our drive up there, the snow flurries started coming down.  Now, I am from the South so seeing snow is a very rare thing for me and I of course get all giddy, and act like I am a little kid again!  The strange thing about the snow was that back home in Greenville got more snow than Asheville (guess we were in the wrong place).

After our failure at the Dillards, I know Rusty was so happy to be in Downtown Asheville at Lexington Avenue Brewery aka LAB (make sure to go check out their menu!).  This place was so cool with the lighting in the brewery and around the bar.  We got there at the perfect timing and escaped the wait in the cold.  We were starving by this point and each got a delicious sandwich.  Rusty got a Fried Turkey Sandwich with cranberry sauce and bacon that looked scrumptious and I got the Local Apple and Pear Gouda Grilled Cheese, which was the bomb.com! To accompany our food, we started off with a Flight to have a sampling of all of their beers.  I have come to love craft beers and can only drink domestic beers at tailgates or other events (I know, I am such a BEER SNOB!).  After we finished up at LAB, we decided to that it would be fun to walk around downtown and bar hop and stop in some stores.  We went to a few bars that were well known in Asheville, Jack of the Wood, Tall Gary's, and Southern. I loved trying new beers, they were all so good! Before leaving Downtown to head to Highland Brewery, we had to stop at Three Dog Bakery to pick Miles and Harley up a few treats!

Flight at LAB
Cream Ale, Spiced Wheat, IPA, Rye Pale,
Brown Ale, and Porter
Delicious Apple and Peer Gouda Grilled Cheese
Soft, hot pretzels from Southern with Spicy Mustard,
Cheese, and Apple Butter!
                 
Harley and Miles enjoying their treats from
Three Dog Bakery



After exploring all of Downtown Asheville, it was FINALLY time to go to Highland Brewing Company.  This is what Rusty had been waiting for ALL day long.  Over the winter, he had gotten hooked on their Cold Mountain Ale, which is definitely one of the best seasonal beers that I have ever had. It was so crowded at the brewery with bachelorette parties, Mardi Gras parties, a band, and several tours of the brewery moving in and out.  We got a spot right away at the bar and got another Flight there to sample some of the beers that they don't sell in stores.  Unfortunately, they ran out of Cold Mountain the weekend before.  Rusty was disappointed to say the least! Other than that, we had a great time and enjoyed spending a fun-filled day in freezing Asheville.
Highland Brewing Company

our flight of beer at Highland!
The weekend was amazing and to top it all off, Rusty and I are going to get Sushi tonight for dinner! To say I am happy is an understatement! I have been craving sushi for weeks now, but we have to be home before the Bachelor at 8!

Have a great week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment