Friday, April 5, 2013

Chicago Trip & Mimi's Strawberry French Toast

(obviously I am a little behind!)

When I think Easter, I think Spring.  This year, not so much! It has been such a cold start to Spring.  I definitely think that the Groundhog lied to us about having a short winter.  I experienced the cold Spring last weekend when I went up to Chicago to spend Easter with some of my family there.  When I touched down in Chicago, they were all so excited because it was 53 degrees.  Really? That was warm for them, they were crazy! People were in shorts and flip flops, while I was bundled up in my scarf and boots.

The weekend flew by, but it was so nice to be spending time with some of my family that I never get to see.  We didn't do much while we were there because my Grandmother is sick.  But my mom and I had a great weekend, minus the snow that was still all over the sides of the street.  That was something that I wasn't expecting to see at the end of March.  I spent my time relaxing, shopping, and helping cook Easter Brunch. 

Below are a few snapshots of my weekend in Chicago as well as my Mimi's delcious Strawberry French Toast Bake recipe.

Delicious Fannie May chocolate

Powdered Sugar Chocolate Cake made by Mimi's friend!

Ewww snow still on the ground at the end of March!

Spring brownies I made for Uncle Tom's birthday!

Found this gem at Mimi's! Kelley and I in an Easter picture with Mom circa 1991?

Pretty Spring wine glass on Easter Sunday!


Mimi's Strawberry French Toast Bake
1 loaf French bread
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
3 pt. fresh strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cornstarch
2 T. butter, melted

  1. Cut bread diagonally into 10-14 slices.
  2. Place on lightly buttered jelly roll pan.
  3. In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, baking powder, and vanilla.
  4. Pour over bread, turning until well soaked.  Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight
  5. Blend sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch. 
  6. Add sugar mixture to strawberries. Mix well.
  7. Butter an oblong baking dish.  Add berries.
  8. Place bread slices closely together on top of berries and brush with melted butter.
  9. Bake at 450 for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden.
  10. Sift powdered sugar on top and ENJOY :)
I am so happy that I got to spend time with my Grandma and other family in Chicago that I never get to see. Hopefully I will have time to go back up there sometime this summer!

Happy Friday y'all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment